Tuesday, July 28, 2009

ep #16 blog

This was a strange one. Matt (my co-writer) and I always knew that we wanted to revisit the Eliza character and have her show her finished documentary to the triad, and we knew that it would be shown to be a horribly distorted view of their lives. But then we came to this shooting week and basically none of our actors were available. So we thought, well let's do the one where she shows her doc, but instead of scripting something totally new, let's use footage we already have and look back at times when Eliza was supposedly filming them, but we can see the scenes from different angles, etc, and then put in some really disingenuous commentary. Well, that is how the idea started anyway - as is so often the case, taking a constraint (lack of actors) and turning it into a way to be creative. We ended up using the past footage instead for flashbacks, and adding in "what happened next" footage with Eliza & Mark. Since Eliza & Mark are played by me and Matt, we could shoot those anytime. Anyway, we came up with some really good plot twists to reveal and I wasn't sure until I sat down to edit, how I was going to put it all together. We managed to get Amber Rack (Gemma) for 2 hours one sunday so we scripted a bit where she sees the horrible documentary. And there it is. So often, when I feel like I've done something with no resources whatsoever, the audience comes back and says it's one of their favorite episodes. And I think this is one of those.

No comments: